Sunday 1 July 2012

Technology: For and Against.

As a photography student, I find myself using technology each and everyday. I own a laptop, a digital SLR, an Ipod, and a phone. As you read this, I am listening to "Explosions in the sky - the earth is not a dead cold place", have just finished watching the first half of the Euro 2012 final between Italy and Spain (who currently find themselves 2-0 up), checking my phone for texts and typing this blog through my laptop, to publish onto the piece of genius which we call the internet.

Overall, I need technology to keep up with the rest of the world, but if it wasn't for the root of all evil (money) being an issue I wouldn't need it to complete my work. If I was somehow transported back to the sixties DR.Who sty-lee, I would be able to complete the work I am so passionate about with my Canon A-1 analouge camera, and the most crisp and cheap films on the market.

Personally, I find technology annoying (you know what I mean, not the life support machines in hospitals, and phones to make those emergency calls to and from, just the little things). I feel the need to check my facebook page daily, and I also feel that I never have someones full attention when I share my time with others, as everyone else is a few clicks away with a blackberry, I phone or HTC.

I guess that makes me a lot like my dad, and old fashioned in that sense.

I currently have a small, and quite frankly shit little samsung phone. I can call from it, I can text from it, I can use it as an alarm clock. I believe that phones with so many apps, however impressive they may be seem to force their owners into ignoring and missing out on so much beauty in the world.

When I go on a train journey, I make sure I have a view and a bit of music, as I love moving image and music together. I could happily sit for 5 hours plus, gazing out of a window letting my mind wonder away from what is so lucid, to a beautiful soundtrack, but the majority of the people I know will play games on their phones, text away to everyone they know and ignore the natural and architectural beauty of the world around us.

As much as I slate technology for promoting ignorance, you can't fault how impressive a lot of machines and art created by technology can be, as a lot of the time it can be life saving.

Just try to obtain the best of both worlds, get rid of your blackberries and enjoy natural beauty at its best.

No comments:

Post a Comment