Monday 16 July 2012

Room On Fire: Rules Of Relations

The rules of relationships are relatively simple to understand, but not to follow. The scenario is normally something relating to the phrase "Do as I say, not as I do" (doing what I do is bad, and doing as I say is probably just as useless in honesty).  

There are many taboos which shouldn't be broken down, thrown around and lost in uncontrollable moments, but being the humans that we are, those taboos are fucking flung against the wall so hard, not even the likes of Iker Casillas, Joe Hart or Peter Shilton would've been able to stop them from rippling the back of the net.

One of these taboos that shouldn't be broken but is on many occasions is falling for your best friend of the opposite sex. This situation occurs often as attractions take a hold between the two "friends", as they prove to each other that they stand side by side during tough experiences that they each share separately. Another horrid truth that correlates well from this situation is that it ruins the friendship completely, after feelings are spilt from that over flowing, hot mug of stupidity to the point of no return. 

The "mug" was a key word in the last paragraph. No matter how much either you or the other subject involved try to cover it up with the fact that "it doesn't mean anything" and "we're only friends" is a literal piece of bullshit that people must learn to accept isn't OK to say when such feelings are spilt between one and another. This easy escape kicks the friendship in the tits to be quite frank, as it proves to the person on the other end (who's feelings end up being shoveled about a bit) that the friendship wasn't worth much if both of the participants are willing to risk it to the price of curiosity, or by being completely mis-lead by words that the other has used, in order to gain the attention and affection of the "mug" (yours truly).

During this period I felt many different stages of what I thought was love, lust and affection, all of which I realise were completely from my side and not at all from the other what so ever. The stages I experienced I can definatly learn from as for pretty much the first time in my life I learned to overcome some fears, completely bottle other situations, lie, attention seek and shun the subject from my life, as currently I have realised is probably the best option for me for the time being.

Anyway, after paying the personal price of losing a good friend through this tacky manner of stupidity and learning to deal with it through many different stages experienced, whilst listening to an album written by "the Strokes" named "Room on Fire", the lyrics to the majority of the songs I could easily relate to through my experiences so far.

Julian Casablancas fell head over heels for his best friend at the tender age of seventeen and remained strung upon her until mid way through writing the album "Room on Fire" which lead him to the age of twenty-one. Four years of a gruesome relationship that was never official or anything near it put me off the whole "keep kissing the ground she walks on until she turns around" approach, known also as, "stop being a bitch". 

Whilst listening to the album a certain amount of lyrics stood out for me personally. The title first song "What Ever Happened?" was written completely about the loss of his close friend whom he fell so passionately for but ruined through the sheer intoxication of the situation, and realisation that he was being taken for a mug.

The lyrics in bold I have decided to analyse in italic.





"What Ever Happened?"


I don't want to be forgotten,
and I don't want to be reminded.
-Wanting her attention but also wanting to forget the whole situation, which he struggled to forget.





I wanna be beside her.
She wanna be admired.
- Kissing the ground she walks on, and realising that she wants better, more and purely just the attention. Summary - The subject loves to be loved.





 "life ain't chess,"
But no one comes in and yes, you're alone... 


You don't miss me, I know. - Self explanatory.


Oh Tennessee, what did you write? -
I come together in the middle of the night.
Oh that's an ending that I can't write, 'cause

I've got you to let me down. Play- Write (Tennessee) that Julian admired, settled Julian's stomach about the whole situation, and made him realise that there's no chance to salvage anything, and that he's got to pick himself up.

Meet me In The Bathroom

Yeah, we were just two friends in lust
And baby, that just don't mean much
You trained me not to love
After you showed me what it was - Realisation of what the situation between them is, that it means nothing, and the hard feelings felt are shown and shoved towards her (if she listened to the album that is!)

Now she's staring wide-eyed
Can't close her eyes
Anywhere is fine
just don't waste my time - After she has obtained his attention, he can't escape her even if he tries. She wants his attention, he doesn't want to give it but does.



I relate to these points directly as I have interpreted them as I believe they have been intended to be interpreted after Julian spoke with NME about the lyrical content and subject matter of the whole album.

There isn't really a point to this whole blog, just the fact that, things will just improve after the realisation and gained inspiration to leave the past behind no matter what the situation maybe, because to be honest I've been pessimistic, pessimistic as hell to be blunt, but putting that aside you are left with pure optimism, and that's what gave me a hand, as well as the pure inspiration of The Strokes first two albums.

Room on Fire, relations up in smoke....fuck 'em.





No comments:

Post a Comment