Sunday 1 July 2012

Kevin Meredith AKA Lomo Kev

Kevin Meredith is a photographer based in his hometown of Brighton. He primarily shoots on Lomo, hense the nickname LOMOKEV. I don't know how he does it but every image he publishes seems to be; A) physically beautiful and B) the perfect shot.

I purchased one of Kevin's latest books from Urban Outfitters in late January 2012, titled "Hot Shots". It instantly changed my attitude and approach towards taking photographs. During my A-Levels I found myself in a situation which allowed me to have a lot of freedom within my work, which I was expecting to retain upon my arrival at University.



I was soooo bloody wrong, and it has taken me a while to get used to the loss of freedom within work. Kevin gives me that bit of freedom and extra kick up the arse as I gain inspiration from his "Don't think just shoot" approach, whereas my university forces the opinion upon us that everything has a meaning, semiotics, yada this, yada that, blah blah. So now I find myself as two photographers in one, setting myself work to make sure I retain that burning desire inside of me and not lose the passion for documenting what I see, and the second is the dull, uninspired work-o-holic, write-o-holic, bored-o-holic student you read from at this second.



Kevin is a member of Brighton swimming club and most of his images are taken in and around the water. He documents every moment, and when he leaves home he'll grab his keys, his phone, and a compact camera.

He is the biggest inspiration I have had in such a long time, and inspired my series of images titled "sea spray".

Still, he's my second favorite Kevin, to none other than Torquay United legend, Kevin Hill! Sorry Lomo Kev!

References: http://lomokev.com/about/

No comments:

Post a Comment